The primary problem is that most folks who bought their Kwikset, EZ-Set, Defiant, or Faultless locks at a big box store for $15 are not going to spend close to $200 on having a gate lock installed. If they are willing to spend that kind of cash on a gate lock, they expect quality and probably already own Baldwin, Emtek or Schlage locks and they usually want their existing key to work the gate. I do not remember ever having installed a LokkLatch using the original keyway.
Unfortunately, D&D Technologies does not have an OEM “C” keyway for this lock, so it is up to us locksmiths to solve the problem. I have been looking for a solution that is both simple and elegant!
There are a couple of mechanical issues, which need to be addressed during this modification.
- The lazy tailpiece is unusually narrow.
- The OEM tailpiece only has ¼ turn of free rotation unlike most, which have over ½ turn. Often these locks are mounted on a 2×4 that is bolted to the garage wall and there is not a lot of room for excessive key turning.
- The base of the tailpiece has a permanent washer making it unusually thick, requiring an extra thick cap on the end of the cylinder plug.
I have tried a different solution for every LokkLatch I have installed. They all worked reasonably well, but none of them were simple, none of them were elegant and they were all very time consuming!